Sunday, May 11, 2008

Standing Women Pledge

Michelle challenged me to stand for something based on this pledge below.

Last May hundreds of thousands of women and girls, along with the men and boys they love, in 75 countries and on all continents of the world stood together in parks, on beaches, in churches, at graduation ceremonies, in their backyards and at school yards or anyplace they could find to stand in a global wave of humanity in support of a better world for our children.

We invite women and their families everywhere to take this "stand" with us again, on May 11 at 1 p.m. local time for just 5 minutes, to rekindle the world with our common vision.

We stand for the world's children and grandchildren, and for the seven generations beyond them.
We dream of a world where all of our children have safe drinking water, clean air to breathe, and enough food to eat.
A world where they have access to a basic education to develop their minds and healthcare to nurture their growing bodies.
A world where they have a warm, safe and loving place to call home. A world where they don't live in fear of violence-in their home, in their neighborhood, in their school or in their world.
This is the world of which we dream.
This is the cause for which we stand.

To learn more and register your standing, go to the Standing Women website at http://www.standingwomen.org/

What do I stand for?

I stand for the people who suffer from prejudice and bullies' attacks. I stand for the kids who aren't accepted for who they are because they're "different". I stand for people who feel oppressed by the societies' standards who feel forced not to follow their own hearts' callings or their conscience. I stand for the spirit of love, of giving people a chance, of realizing that we're all somehow connected in this big big world.

7 comments:

  1. Ahh, I like this, giving people a chance. I tend to give people mighty long chances until they've used up all, then I know, it's time to give up. But until then, I give 'em as many chances as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you stand for. I know a lot about people being bullied. Maribeth talks about her experiences, Andy talks about his, I had mine a long, long time ago. It's all about rising above that.
    So much of what you say, Amel, are excellent things to stand up for. & I really hope others stand up for the same things!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guyana Gyal: THANKS for sharing your POV and for your visit. :-)))) You're right that some people abuse the chances given to them. :-))))

    Vince: Glad you enjoyed reading it and you can relate to it. I have never experience being bullied myself, but I've heard and seen and read too many stories about this topic and it saddens me. :-((((

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I stand for people who feel oppressed by the societies' standards who feel forced not to follow their own hearts' callings or their conscience."
    This is so well said, Amel and I totally agree - I stand with you ;-)

    Jacques

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a beautiful job with this one, Amel. I agree with Jacques, this sentence is just perfect...

    "I stand for people who feel oppressed by the societies' standards who feel forced not to follow their own hearts' callings or their conscience."

    I'll stand with you too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for a beautiful post. I'll stand with you on this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jean-Jacques: YES!!! Let's stand together then! :-))))

    Michelle: Glad you enjoyed it. At first I was confused on what to stand for, but after a while I realized what I wanted to say he he he...

    Hayden: GREAT!!! THANKS for your visit and comment! ;-D

    ReplyDelete